Thursday, May 11, 2006

Recommended title: Over in the Meadow


Over in the meadow / illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats.
Four Winds, or Scholastic, 1971.
Subjects:
Counting-out rhymes
Animals -- Poetry

ISBN: 0590091956 (Scholastic); 0140565086 (Puffin)

Something nice for springtime.. one of the many great Ezra Jack Keats books. Looking over the EJK site I am reminded of the librarian at my elementary school. A lot of the books there brought back the blissful school day moments amassed on the floor of the library .. great stories like this being poured into me. Less and less often do our schools offer times in the library like the ones I had; a dedicated teller of stories and an information provider focussed on kids is too much of a luxury these days. Such is the case in a world that now offers, BabyFirstTV???

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I like your recommendations on children's books. Thanks. I'm going to check that one out.

And what a wonderful boy's name that would be - Ezra Keats. Hmmm..

8:29 a.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Oooh, I love his books too. He was so revolutionary in his day, putting black characters in urban settings in picture books, but they still have a delightful whimsy about them, and really capture the simple magic of how children view the world. Snowy day is of course the famous case in point, but I love the other Peter stories too. He just gets it right, even some 30 years later.

10:53 a.m.  
Blogger Granny said...

Thanks for the comment. I've stayed out of most of the "wars" but this one got to me.

I'm glad you're chiming in.

8:27 p.m.  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

BabyFirstTV is scary and sad. But again, it's up to parents to choose what their children are exposed to. We need to keep parents informed of what activities (such as reading) best help children learn.

I love Keats' books. The stories and illustrations are beautiful! Like you, they make me reminisce about my childhood.

9:41 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home